List of recommended items to bring to the Ranch this summer
Important things to note
- There is very limited storage space for your clothing and items. You will have space under your twin bed and beside your bed for luggage/storage.
- Wildwood is not responsible for staff belongings. You are encouraged to label your items so that you can keep track of them successfully.
- A summer at Wildwood is full of adventure so please bring items you are ok getting dirty in and moving comfortably in. Iowa summers get hot and humid!
- Thursday night we have a Wildwood tradition: the student talent show! Some staff like to dress up a bit to help students feel special and supported.
- The weekends we encourage everyone to attend church, as well as, explore the different events and activities Des Moines has to offer. Please feel free to bring weekend clothing for those special events.
- Enough clothing to make it through at least one week of programming, but simple enough to not bring your entire wardrobe J
- Tanktops that are two fingers wide. (no spaghetti straps)
- T-shirts with appropriate logos/graphics/words.
- Shorts: length: mid-thigh or longer
- Leggings: no leggings except for high ropes course or if all is covered
- 1 pair of jeans for horseback riding
- Women: One piece/tankini with swim shorts
- Men: swim trunks
- A sweatshirt and rain jacket for any chilly mornings/rainy days
- 1-2 pairs of closed toed shoes (tennis shoes)
- 1-2 pairs of Chacos/Keens (sandals that have a secure heel strap)
- Toiletries for showering and daily needs
- Container for toiletries (shower caddy)
- Sheets with blanket OR sleeping bag and pillow
- 1 beach towel
- 1-2 shower towels
- Large laundry bag
- Bible and Journal
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Water bottle
- Alarm clock
- Under the bed storage container
- Boots: hiking/cowboy/rain
- Frisbee, favorite card game
Items in “Staff Only” Areas
- Electronics (cell phones, MP3, laptops, tablets, etc)
- Personal food/snacks
- Valuables: you will be provided a locker to share with another staff member. You may put your electronics, keys, etc. in.
- Flip-flops for shower shoes and to where on the weekends. (Not allowed around property while students are here)
- It is suggested that medications be brought in original pharmacy containers with a valid date and name.
- All medication will be kept in the health care center.
- A back up written prescription for each medication is suggested
- Updated shots: flu, tetanus, etc. are encouraged.